I know that Johnny Cleveland and I aren't the only people that have noticed that Ed Hightower referees every basketball game that appears on television. I mean seriously, dude is everywhere. Most recently, he did the MSU-Illinois game on Sunday, and followed it up with an appearence at Texas vs. Baylor tonight. I could site in more detail his amazing schedule, but it is just too broad and too large to fit in the space of a blog post. The internets are beginning to take notice of this phenomena, and the love/hate relationship between college basketball fans and Ed is burning up blogs across the nation. No one, however, is supporting my contention...which is that, a la WWF referee Dave Hebner, there are two Ed Hightowers. I hope I don't need to remind you that the Hebner twins cost Hulk Hogan his belt...
What then took place was (history has since proven) one of the most brilliant wrestling angles in the annals of the "sport." Twin referees, a bogus pin, the World Title wrongly changing hands -- twice -- and some of the most entertaining "rasslin" the world had ever seen. When "evil twin" ref Dave Hebner (or was it Earl?) cost Hogan his belt, ending Hogan's four-year long first WWF title reign, with Dibiase then immediately trading Andre (and his manager, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan) a briefcase full of cash for the WWF strap, the fans in attendance -- as well as those watching at home -- were enraged.
So the breadth of the wrath of Hightower has yet to be revealed. Somehow, I thinkMoses Hightower is involved as well. Yes, he's too big to be the twin, but he is a Sparty, and most of them are crooked bastards. Someone needs to take a hard look at Spartan basketball over the last 10 years and cross reference it with games refereed by either of "the Hightowers"....or Bubba Smith.
- Hightower photoshop fun: Scout and Cyclonefanatic
- Official profile of the man behind the stripes.
- More Hightower from the Cedar Rapids Gazette.
- Hightower looking at himself...or is he?
Non-Hightower links of interest...
- The pic that has made it's way around the internet courtesy of MGoBlog...but really courtesy of Maker's Mark, has ruined me for MM and Ginger Ale.Â Oh well, it was a chick drink anyway.
- Wolverine Liberation Army has come up with a more appropriate response. BTW, the WLA is one hell of a blog that you should have on your daily browsing list.
- More Mallett.