It what is typically known as one of the biggest rivalries in the college football, the Michigan vs. Michigan Agricultural College game is upon us. Michigan, looking to stay in BCS contention, travels into East Lansing this weekend looking to make yet another statement. Here are some of the famous dates in the series history, courtesy of the Detroit News...
- 1898 : First game between schools: Michigan 39, Michigan Agricultural College 0.
- 1902: Fielding H. Yost's first game against Michigan Agricultural College. It was played at Regents Field in Ann Arbor. Michigan won 119-0, scoring 20 touchdowns worth five points each.
- 1927: A crowd of 27,864 showed up for the first meeting between the teams at Michigan Stadium. Three-time All-American Bennie Oosterbaan led U-M to a 21-0 win.
- 1947 : Michigan State discarded its familiar gold and black uniforms and wore green and white for the first time. Michigan's "Mad Magicians" won, 55-0. It was the first time the game had been on television, with Paul Williams at the microphone for WWJ in Detroit.
- 1954: Duffy Daugherty's first year as MSU coach, but Michigan's Ron Kramer dominated the game as a sophomore, blocking two punts, and the Wolverines won, 33-7
- 1964: On the way to the Big Ten championship, Bump Elliot had his finest day against Michigan State with a 17-10 victory.
- 1989: Bo Schembechler's last game against Michigan State resulted in a 10-7 victory.
- 1990: U-M Coach Gary Moeller's first game against MSU was spoiled by a controversial call on Desmond Howard, who was tripped in the end zone as he tried to catch a pass for a two-point conversion. MSU 28, U-M 27.
- 1997: U-M, on its way to a national championship, beat State, 23-7, with Charles Woodson making two interceptions, one in spectacular style in front of his bench.
- 2001: U-M, favored by six, leads the series 61-27-5.
Party With Sparty...and the UMTailgate.com Crew
Looking for us? The crew from UMTailgate.com can be found from 8:30am 'til kickoff at the University Lutheran Church, 1020 South Harrison Road, just a few blocks from the stadium. We hope to see you all there. Bring food and alcohol.