Ya, well, I've been on vacation.
Here's what we both missed while the metro area celebrated Todd Jones losing his job:
- JB hired a new assistant (Jeff Meyer) from Indiana that was on Kelvin Sampson's staff at IU. Odd choice considering our history, but "Any concerns of Jeff's ties to the NCAA issues at Indiana have been addressed by the NCAA and our compliance staff,'' Beilein said. "He has been cleared." So was Steve Fisher. (Beilein Hires New Assistant - MLive)
- The Big Ten meetings have come and gone, and for the first time in 12 years, Michigan finds themselves outside of the top three. ESPN's Big Ten Blog has this quotable: "Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez definitely brings a different flavor to the Big Ten. Can't really figure out what it is, but it's different. Maybe it's just that he didn't grow up in Big Ten country and has a real accent, unlike all those coaches from Ohio who pretend like they do." (Big Ten Media Days Wrap Up - ESPN Big Ten Blog)
- The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette catches up with Tailgate Jesus, Joe Cahn. Joe says: "Ah, but in the parking lot, with meat on the grill and a cold beverage in your fist ... that's where the neighborhood lives." How am I supposed to get through August?!?!? (Master of the Tailgate Grill - FWJG)
- "Inside Michigan Football" replaces Michigan Replay. It will air Thursday nights at 6:30pm on FSN.Â That and a Big Ten roundup appears in this article from the Lansing State Journal.
- F*ck Lion owner and quiz bowl champion Marques Slocum is gone...Grady is not. However, as you read this, Grady is probably running the golf course. (Rodriguez: Slocum Gone, Grady Suspended - MLive)
- Those who stay will be champions. Those who stay will be champions. Those who stay will be champions. Those who stay will be champions. Those who stay will be champions. Those who stay will be champions. (Persistence Pays Off For Wolverines Who Stayed - ESPN Big Ten Blog)
- Link speaks for itself. (Rodriguez: They Sell Guns in West Virginia - Wizard of Odds)
- I've been talking about the fact the real difference between this season and any other in my lifetime is "The Unknown." Genuinely Sarcastic writes about it, and shares his passion for Michigan Football. It's like he's in my head.
- My suggestion to you is that you start to take game number one very seriously. (5 Utes Make Preseason All-Mountain-West Team - Block U)
- "The kids that go to Ohio State from Michigan are the kids that have no clue," Rose told WDFN-AM's Stoney and Wojo during their annual Radiothon fundraiser. "And the kids that go to Michigan State from the state of Michigan are the kids that can't go to [the University of] Michigan." Welcome back to my happy place Mr. Rose. (Rose on WDFN - Mlive)
- The Chicago Tribune says that Rodriguez was the center of attention at the Big Ten meetings.
- Remy Hamilton kicked a field goal to beat Notre Dame in 1994, sparking my first trip to South U to participate in a riot and the shredding of a Notre Dame flag on the steps of the Union. Thank god for Wolverine Historian. [Remy Beats Irish - MVictors]