Players develop. They start chubby, winded after a few minutes of going up and down the court. But they grow up, get tougher, drop the Freshman 15. Sometimes it takes four years. Sometimes you think it's never going to happen, and there's 50 cheeseburgers in the way. Sometimes it happens overnight, and it can be really special if that night is the night before the 3rd (2nd dude, c'mon) round of the NCAA tournament.
Mitch McGary has arrived at the perfect time. He's a leader. He's exciting and excitable. He is willing this team to success in ways the strong silent killer that is Trey Burke can't.
I thought I remembered what it was like to make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament, but I guess I don't. I would have never thought it was my senior year of high school the last time we made it this far. Nearly 20 years later, and I feel like a kid again. I'm happy to say I couldn't give a shit about my bracket.
Speaking of the brackets, kudos to the group as a whole as only 6 of the 108 participants lost their champion in the first weekend. That's about as good as it gets after the unceremonious removal of 48 of the 64. Congrats to my old buddy Steve Watters who holds a 2 point lead on the field.
A quick roundup of the internets from the weekend:
- Michigan Breezes Past VCU - ESPN
- Michigan is Going to the Sweet Sixteen - Maize N Brew
- UMHoops game recap
- Forgot About Trey - MGoBlog
- Trey is a Naismith Award Finalist - UMHoops
- Hockey Won on Saturday...then lost on Sunday ending a streak that is not likely to be repeated
- A somewhat cool reseeding of the sweet sixteen that has Michigan #2 behind Louisville. - ESPN
- Tubby Has Been Fired - The Daily Gopher
- The Michigan Women's team won on Sunday, and looks to upset #1 Stanford on Tuesday. - Oakland Press