Much has been made of the "war of words" between Mike Hart and Mark Dantonio. For the second time this season, a coach has responded to comments made by Mike Hart. Isn't that embarrassing for the coach? I mean, what kind of headway can you make as a leader of men when you are bantering back and forth with a student-athlete in a "I know you are but what am I?" fashion. Perhaps there's a case to be made that Mike needs to grow up. Fortunately for him, he's young and literally needs to grow up. As for Harbaugh and Dantonio...they ARE grown up, and they are acting like a couple of bitches more interested in winning a conversation with a 22 year old than winning football games. The Spartans and Cardinal(s) are basically lucky to get the national attention they are getting from Mike shitting on them. Get that fellas? Mike poops, and the location of his poop becomes news. You sirs, you are just toilets. Shut up and win.
Of course, this topic has been run through the ringer in the blogosphere. I will direct you to the post by MGoBlog, which continues my streak of linking to MGoBlog pretty much every time I write a post. He has a good take on it, and also links to the rest of the good takes across said blogosphere. (Spartans, Your Profession is Loser - MGoBlog):
But seriously folks, the one thing the Michigan State program needed was a monomaniacal focus on Michigan. It needed a coach who would install a countdown clock to their eighth straight loss in the series. It needed a man who would stand up and say "you know what, guys? All those other games we play are stupid and we shouldn't try very hard in them." It needed a guy who would teach his resilient troops to follow his example by bitching to the assembled media a full two days after his team blew it again. It needed a man who could forge them into a cohesive unit capable of picking up critical personal fouls at the very worst time possible. See, the problem with Michigan State is that occasionally they enter the fourth quarter of games leading. And Michigan State needs a man who can blow that lead, preferably in really, really painful fashion.
Friends, Mark Dantonio is that man.
I dream of writing shit like that. Damn you mgoblog! Other takes on Hart vs. Dantonio to look at when you are not on a quest to find every abandoned Chi-Chi's in the nation:
- Michigan Sports Center analyzes Dantonio line by line.
- Blah Blah Blah provides a solid timeline of evidence that the Spartans are a bunch of dicks.
- The Hoover Street Rag reminds you what it's all about
- Bleeding Green whines like the bitch that it is about a coach getting his ass kicked by a band member.
- Michigan Against the World covers the glorious "Moment of Silence" and the coins the nickname "Douchebagtonio."
- The Lansing State Journal is so fair and balanced. Ya.
- The Detroit News reports that Dantonio says "it's not over." Actually though, it is. I was there. It was 28-24.
The rest of the news around the internets that you missed while building your ownCharlie Weiss Jabba the Hut.
- Lost in the shuffle of choking on the football field was the #8 Spartans falling to Grand Valley State in basketball. [Michigan State is Overrated - With Leather] or [Division II Grand Valley State... - ESPN]
- Meanwhile, the Wolverine cagers took care of business against Ferris. [Beilein Era Begins With Win - MSC]
- In a test to see if a link to a link to UMTailgate.com can result in a link to a link to a link to a link to UMTailgate.com, I give thanks to Michigan Football Saturdays for the shout out on our tailgating prowess. I then begin to contemplate identity theft insurance based on the amount of information he knows about me. [Tailgating Like A Champion - Michigan Football Saturdays]
- Money, power, respect...money. They should really give me the Big Ten network for free. In fact, they should come and install a dedicated flat panel tv broadcasting it in my home. [Big Ten Football Means Big Money for Michigan - MLive]
- Wisconsin knows we're coming...and Mike Hart doesn't want a tie. [Wolverines Have Clawed Back - Wisconsin State Journal]
- Crable is a modern day Jimmy V. [Never-Give-Up Turnaround - The Sporting News]