3.Â Offense:Â Multiple Single Back Sets
4.Â Defense:Â 4-3
5.Â 2006 Record:Â 14-1 (7-0 Southern Conference)
6.Â Star Watch:
Five ASU players are Pre-Season All Americans (RB Richardson, QB Edwards, DB and Buck Buchanan Award Candidate Corey Lynch, OG Kerry Brown, and CB Jerome Touchstone)
Senior Running Back Kevin Richardson-(5'9, 190)Â This former walk-on won the Southern Conference Offensive Player of the Year Award and is now a Walter Payton Award Candidate.Â He averaged well over 100 yards per game as he ran for 1,676 yards (All time school record)Â and 30 TD's (All time DII record)Â last year as a Junior including 179 yds and 4 TD's in Championship Game.Â
Sophomore QB Armanti Edwards- Last year's National Freshmen of the year was second on the team in rushing easily surpassing theÂ 1,000 yd mark for the season.Â Scored 15 TD's on the ground and averaged over 6 yds per scamper.Â Also threw for over 2,000 yds.Â (150 per game with a 60 percent completion percentage)
Junior Linebacker Pierre Banks-Led the team with over 100 tackles last season playing the wide side linebacker spot.
Redshirt Freshmen CoCo Hillary-Yes the second 'C' is capitalized.Â This slot receiver/return specialist has dazzled in the fall workouts, is a threat to break a big one!
The SeriesThese two schools have never met and this is ASU's first ever trip to the state of Michigan.Â It is also ASU'sÂ first everÂ matchup against a Big Ten Conference Team.Â Â ASU is 45-29-3 in season openers and 6-29-1 vs. DI squads.Â Their last victory over a DI school came in 2000 vs. Wake Forest.
Fast and Fun Facts
- ASU isÂ a perfect 2-0 all time in instant replay challenges!Â
- ASU's next opponent is the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears, enrollment 1,600!
- ASU is a perfect 15-0 when Richardson eclipses the 100 yd mark!
- One of ASU's title sponsors is Hardee's.Â (I really miss the "fixins" bar and their commecials on the website are sweet!)
- In an online poll, as of yesterday, 71% of ASU fan's biggest concern about the game was stopping our offense.
- ASU players are referred to as "APPS" and the stadium is nickname "The Rock"
- They have a "Tailgate of the Game Award" for each home game
*Appalachian State University football's preparations for the defense of its back-to-back NCAA Division I football national championships and 2007 season opener at Michigan will be chronicled for a 30-minute documentary as part of Fox Sports Net's popular Under the Lights series.